Monday, November 13, 2006

Second Monday Post Wherein I Request Niceness on the Internet

I read this lady's blog. She's frickin' hilarious too, or at least I think so.

I was sent to her blog by dooce, waaaay back around the time that whore Hurricane Katrina hit. This lady lives in the hurricane zone and her house was trashed. I found her strength of will incredible, plus it was one of the few accurate descriptions of life in post hurricanes one could find on the internet. Plus she had gratuitous shots of baby squirrels on her post.

I remained a stalker-post reader for a long time, mostly because I didn't want to be creepy and post out of nowhere, but I definitely visited her blog daily to see what she had to say, not only because she was funny and had squirrelets and kittens, but because she would post about interesting things - her Scottish pride, her struggles at work, her videos on YouTube, her life before marriage, rebuilding her house, and politics, which was great because I agree with her pretty much 100%, which given my random views on politics, is pretty hard etc etc blah blah. Today though, I had to put my foot down and comment.

Recently, she posted about being po' from rebuilding her house and insurance companies being jerkstores about money, etc. This woman's house was DESTROYED after Katrina. SHE PUT THE PICTURES ONLINE. Yes, it's more than a year after the face, but she posted about the financial difficulties and then, God forbid, asked for donations. She asked for donations. ON HER OWN BLOG.

I find the internet one of those "free spaces." Especially when it comes to blogging. Your blog is your free space to say whatever you want about whatever you want. I want to call John Kerry a jerk, I can do it here. I want to tell people I never zip my fly and fart more than the average person, I can do it here. I want to tell the world to check their boobs for irregularities because it's breast cancer awareness month, I DO IT HERE! So if this woman wants to ask for cashmoney, or allow advertising on her site to generate some income, who says she can't or shouldn't? Apparently a bunch of people, according to today's post, which is really low. If I asked for money and it made some reader uncomfortable, they should x out the screen and not visit anymore. That's the other great thing about the internet being a free space. No one is accosting you for a donation. You don't have to be rude in person. You can quietly sneak away, and no one ever knew you were there. It's anonymous. How someone can write hateful comments berating a person for something they put on their own blog is beyond me.

Anyways, if you want, click on the link and visit the blog. Click on a couple ads to help out. That'd be cool. If you don't want to, you don't have to. It's that easy. Too bad the rest of the world doesn't seem to understand that!

1 comment:

Snoskred said...

Whoa, that's so incredibly nasty. So far everyone I have met in the blogging world has been lovely. I guess like anywhere there has to be some people who spoil it for others. :(

I'm trying to visit as many of the NaBloPoMo blogs as I can and I thought I'd say hi, I loved your blog.. :) bookmarking you :)