Thursday, November 01, 2007

1 November


So in honor of the first day of NaBloPoMo, I picked up Maggie Mason's book to garner some inspiration for topics. I opened it right up to #40 Cower Before Us. It said to post about your irrational fears. This morning I thought about my fears. "They're all perfectly rational," I thought, as I pondered my giant-sea/pond/lake creature generated fear of swimming in natural bodies of water, my hesitance of touching dead animals for fear they might spring back to life, and my fear of touching the "things" that collect in the drain catcher at the bottom of the sink. hmmpphh. I have no irrational fears!!!

Then I remembered what I have to do today......go....to....the....dentists. Ohhhh

Now there is a valid irrational fear.

I actually truly believe that most people's fear of the dentist is absolutely valid and reasonable - they've experienced pain, inept dentistry, procedures sans novacaine, root canals, extractions, DIRTY INSTRUMENTS! The works. I have had no such experiences. Sure I've had the odd tooth filled. I had my wisdom teeth out but was so drugged up I just barely remember the experience and I don't remember any pain though I know I was in a bit of it. Other than that not much dentistry-wise has ever happened to me....then why, right at this moment, am I totally freaking out about the fact that in 3 hours I will find myself prone in a dentist's chair with a bright light in my face???

I have no idea. But let me tell you, if it weren't so dangerous and um, illegal, I would be finding my local street pharmacist right now and scoring some valium. Cause this irrational fear is really no joke. I'll check in later to let you know I survived the ordeal....

cartoon from cartoonchurch.com

No comments: