Thursday, April 28, 2011

Birthday Recap

 There were certain things I wanted to do for my birthday.


 I had a champagne cocktail at the Barker Tavern (actually, I had 2)


 I got a mani/pedi and became a convert of the gel manicure.


I went to Sephora and bought myself some treats. 

I did manage to get hygiene kits together for my church, but I didn't seem to take a picture of them! I am super-anal and had the facecloths and hand towels all match, and put in toothbrushes that coordinated well with the towel colors. Who does that? And what hygiene kit recipient, who is in such a desperate situation they need a facecloth, hand towel, comb, toothbrush, bar of soap, nail clipper and 6 bandaids, would ever notice such a thing? Maybe no one will - which is fine, because the point is bringing people what they need to survive - but maybe someone will notice and think "someone thought of me when they put this together" because I did. 

I still haven't started my Craft Hope project, but hope to soon!

As for the quilt, life intervened. Yeah. I had set aside a day to make a Quilt for Quake Survivors quilt, but I totally failed because I was having a really bad awful day and couldn't focus long enough to sew. It sounds stupid, and looking back, it  is pretty dumb. I have been feeling terrible about it, and every time I see the scraps that I had cut out hanging out on the shelf of my pantry, I have guilt. I really felt like I was meant to make a quilt to comfort someone who had lost everything.

Then this happened in Alabama:


I saw this picture on (and stole it from) abcnews.com. Someone commented that they could not believe that in the midst of all this, America seemed to be focused on the Royal Wedding and President Obama's birth certificate. How true. I can't imagine what it's like to have a mile-wide funnel cloud bearing down on your home, putting your entire family and existence at risk. I can't imagine losing everything - but I can imagine how heartbroken I'd be to lose certain things - like family photos, heirlooms, and things I had made and other people had made for me. Suddenly I realized I have a reason to finish that quilt and that I wouldn't even have to search as far as Japan to find someone who might need a little homemade comfort.

No comments: