Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Why My Certain Small Scenes from my Life Would Make a Good Movie

Scene: Driving Northbound on I-95 somewhere in Connecticut, returning from husband's family funeral in Brooklyn. Allison is behind the wheel, crying hysterically about her job, her lack of patience, and mental exhaustion.

Jamaal: You know, you have Superwoman syndrome, you try and do too much all the time. It's not healthy. You need time for you, you know.
Allison: (hiccups) I...I...know
J: And if that means....um, do you need to pull over?
A: NO!
J: Are you sure? Do you need me to drive?
A: NO!
J: Allison, you are crying, how can you focus on driving??
A: I'm very very good and multitasking, REMEMBER?!

You ever have one of those days? I'm sure you have - just one of those days where you're completely overloaded and there is no more room in your head for thoughts or feelings or your emotions or anyone else's thoughts, feelings or emotions (ok, except crying apparently)? I had one of those days yesterday. Luckily I have a super-sweet and understanding husband who knows how to deal with me. Needless to say, once we got home I put on my PJ's, slipped under the covers and slept, brick-like, for the next 8 hours. I wish I could say I woke up in a completely different state, but I didn't. Mind you, I felt greatly improved, but looming ahead of me was a long day at the office. This past week and I'm sure the rest of this week has really sealed the deal: I need a new job. I'm kind of disappointed that it has come to this, but it's something I need to do. I'm nervous and kind of scared...but I'm excited to try and something that doesn't make me quite so miserable.

In the meantime, I'm going to try and start doing some things that make me really happy. Luckily, it's spring, and that means that kayaking and gardening are on deck for the sunny days, and crafting is there for the rainy ones. Here's to a better outlook!

No comments: