Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Homemade Comfort

Because they're awesome, Craft Hope has found a way to help tornado victims. I'm so excited!

I'll still finish bracelets for Project 12, but I can't express the level of happiness I felt when I read about Project 13 today. Finally, the quilt I started has a reason to be finished! Plus this will be a great opportunity to pull together some smaller quilts using the fabric scraps I have in my pantry. I can't think of a more worthy cause!

In the meantime, I'm trying to get myself together. I'll be the first to admit it - I've really been struggling at work lately. I've come to the realization that it's time to look for a new job. It makes me sad in a way because I actually love SOME of what I do...but that 'some' has become a smaller and smaller percentage of what makes up my job as a whole, and as that percentage gets smaller, my job satisfaction decreases. It's also sad because I actually love the hospital for which I work. It is one of the finest specialty hospitals in the entire country. The work we are doing is good and sometimes even revolutionary. Our patients are treated with kindness and care by both physicians, nurses, and staff. I love that, and those are the things I wrestled with before coming to my decision to look for something new. What did help me get to that decision were a series of lousy things coworkers have done in the past couple of weeks. It's too petty to get into, but they were lousy on the coworker level (e.g. ideas getting shot down before I could even effectively pitch them) and on the personal level (e.g. let's invite everyone to a coworker's baby shower, to lunch, etc and purposefully leave out me and my officemate). I was sitting in my office and thought "I really do not have to take this anymore." I don't know where I'll end up, and I might not even move on from the job I have now, but if I don't I have to make certain changes that will make my work life more pleasant, and that's something I'm focusing on right now. In a way, it's good to have to come to terms with certain things I've pushed aside for the six years I've worked here.

In other news, it's kayaking time, gardening time, crafting time, spring cleaning time, graduation time...and maybe even vacation time. The rest of spring and summer lie in wait ahead of me. It's hard not to be optimistic.

Adams Birthplace - taken with my iPhone at a red light :)

No comments: