Thursday, November 11, 2010

Baking

I was baking again tonight.

I should've been packing for our weekend away in NH or working on the two things I have due at work tomorrow, but I couldn't resist. Finally, a captive audience greater than two stuck with my baked goods! Glorious!

I began with chocolate cookies - easy and straightforward, and ended with pumpkin bread.

Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread is one of my all-time favorite recipes. I think I love it because it combines a glorious mix of spices and taste better with time. Perfection.


We received a box of spices from Penzey's as a shower gift. Inside was a small bag with a round nut-looking thing inside. The label said "whole nutmeg." I didn't know if it had to be peeled or chopped or what. Google saved the day - I learned I could grate as needed with my microplane. I love how the inside looks! It also smells amazing when grated.

I make a big mess in our small kitchen whenever I cook. I also cook off my ipod, which you can see on the counter.

I especially love pumpkin bread because you add cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg and ginger on top of the dry ingredients. They contrast each other in a way I find quite lovely :)

Love my stand mixer!! Look at it go!

Baking also gives me a chance to use all my little baking tools that I've accrued over the last few years....like a mini snowman rubber spatula!


Naturally type-A me loves what happens AFTER baking - the restoration of kitchen to sparkling clean!! Ugh, note our horrid green floors!

Well the oven timer calls - seriously, try the pumpkin bread some day. It makes three decent sized loaves, taste better the day after it's made, pleases a crowd, etc....it's totally worth it!

Night night interwebs!

No comments: