Friday, July 06, 2007

Book Promotion

There aren't many books on my book list over there -----------------------------------------> that I wouldn't recommend. Sure some are light and fluffy, some fiction, some non-fiction, some intense and serious, some autobiographical, some are biological - there's really something for everyone. For inspiration, however, I highly recommend Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
Ayaan was born in Somalia and lived in Kenya, Ethiopia and Saudi Arabia before seeking asylum in the Netherlands, where she became a member of Parliament. Her story is nothing short of unbelievable and at times nearly inconceivable. Not only is her story an inspiration, but I believe it provides invaluable first-hand insight into the world of Islam from the perspective of a woman. It makes the fundamentalism that we're witnessing a tad bit easier to understand. I don't think I truly understand any sort of fundamentalism, and while I will never be able to claim that I understand it, Infidel made me understand maybe the framework in which Muslim children in Africa and the Middle East are raised which allows for the rise of potential fundamentalism, and why we are seeing this attitude in the very different "Western" world. Reading this book was quite the education. I highly highly recommend it.

And let's get that woman an honary Smith degree!

No comments: