Thursday, April 03, 2008

Bridesmaid Duties

B today.

So as I have previously mentioned, I am a bridesmaid in my friend's June wedding. Though I will be one of 13, I still feel special and will be very excited and happy and proud to be standing alongside my friend as she marries her man.

Since there 13 of us, I decided, out of the blue, that I would take it upon myself to make a bridesmaid survival kit, since other typical bridesmaidly duties are being handled by the Man of Honor and the bride herself. If Africa taught me one thing, it was to carry your sh*t with you everywhere because you never know when you might get stuck in the mud and need to spend the night in the middle of the bush in your car and to expect the unexpected. Now supplies will be easy to come by in the urban jungle of New York City should someone need an emergency tampon or something, but why risk not being prepared - especially when there is delightful, delicious consumerism involved?!!

I have already chosen the kit. No prepackaged bridesmaid survival kit will do, not for me, I am a customizing woman, but I did look at all the kits on the market to steal ideas. Once I compiled a list of what I would need, I realized that I would need more than your average rubbermaid. I would need something large but transportable, with compartments and drawers. I found the perfect kit at AC Moore on Sunday, and waited to receive an email coupon from them before buying it - 50% off one item this week! I plan to get a couple things for it every week until it is full of goods that we might need...oh, and I WILL be taking it back home with me too, that is for sure. I'll want to have it for my bridesmaids too!

Now you may be asking yourself, "what the HELL is in a bridesmaid survival kit." My reply is "ha ha what isn't?" I plan to have the usual female necessities on hand, such as tampons and gum and mints and tissues. But then I'm going to take it to a whole other level and have super glue for broken heels, first aid products, dental floss, batteries, film, deodorant, mini sewing kit, safety pins, hairspray, earring backs, perfume, you name it. Obviously I won't have these in huge amounts, so if every bridesmaid needs a role of film, we're shit out of luck, but if I can bail that one gal out, my work will not have been in vain.

Those are my Bridesmaid duties.

I wonder if it's wedding-acceptable to carry your camera down the aisle....dang, I bet it's not...

2 comments:

everything and nothing said...

What if you built a camera holster into your voluminous skirt?

Al said...

Good call, Rach. I will work on that! My parents have requested video, lol, hidden-camera-esque stuff. We'll see.