Friday, February 18, 2011

Soda Ban

So I just read this blog post about banning soda because it's water and high fructose corn syrup and it's not "natural."

Which is kinda true....

BUT

It brings me back to a conversation I've had with Jam time and time again - I believe that the "higher powers" in this world - so in this case, let's say the FDA - can only hold your hand so much before they have to step back and say "OK, if you'd like to make this bad choice for yourself, go ahead, we've told you the ill effects of consuming this product, there's nothing more we can do because IT'S A FREE COUNTRY."

Why should I, who loves a soda now and then, have to suffer because there are people in this world who are dumb enough to drink it like water and give it to small children?? I drink a soda a day or so (well actually, probably not a whole one because I'm a soda snob - I hate how quickly it gets flat in a can, so I usually don't finish a whole one) and enjoy it. I know that it may not be great for me, I know that it might be hindering my ability to quickly reduce the fleshy bits hanging on to my midsection. I get it, but I'm going to do it anyway, and I'm going to like it.

I guess my point is this - I don't want to waste my time and tax dollars holding someone else's hand because they can't make a good decision for themselves. If the caramel coloring in soda REALLY is a carcinogen (always, always, read scientific studies and question their validity people *cough cough autism vaccine study cough cough*) then yeah, maybe that issue should be addressed (though really, how many other carcinogens am I exposed to daily just by living life?). Otherwise, do what Lady Gaga says: don't look outward for validity, look inward. Look inward and think about your choices - if they're bad ones, so be it - don't make the rest of us pay.

Rant over.

*cracks open a coke 0*

No comments: