Monday, June 21, 2010

A Way to HELP!

After months of anger and frustration about the situation in the Gulf, I have finally found a great way to help out with oil spill relief that is not necessarily expensive. I'm sure that donations to organizations such as the National Audubon Society and Ducks Unlimitied (and a whole host of others working to relieve the situation - click here for the Better Business Bureau's list) are more than welcome and absolutely necessary - but if you're not able to come up with a chunk of change any time soon (I feel your pain!) here's another great way to help!

In my quest to clean up my wedding-related firefox bookmarks, I've been clicking on things I've bookmarked to see whether or not I need to keep them. One craft blog lead to another and then lead to another....and I stumbled across Craft Hope. They've teamed up with The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies, Audubon Nature Institute, and the Mississippi Sandhill Crane National Wildlife Refuge and have started an effort to collect rags and towels for cleaning oiled animals: birds, turtles, dolphins, you name it. The post specifies size and materials, and lists the address where this stuff needs to be sent. It's a great opportunity to gather up your old sheets or go through your t-shirt bin and have a little fun with some fabric scissors :) If you're so inclined, you could even throw in a bottle or two of Dawn (why Dawn? Read this)

See? Totally easy! And cheap! And you can stop feeling totally and utterly helpless and useless (how I've been feeling)!

There is a "deadline" for this project - July 3rd - I think it's mostly so the woman delivering supplies doesn't get completely overwhelmed, though she said she'd accept donations beyond the "deadline" of course...but the "deadline" for me is just another reason to go through my old stuff to try and help out, especially since I'll be moving in a couple of months and would've had to do this anyway. I can't believe I'm suddenly looking forward to sorting out that old t-shirt bin!

No comments: