Monday, March 01, 2010

What to do, what to do?


So the Olympics are over. They were fun, and like a lot of people who are into the Olympics, I spent nearly two weeks filling every spare second ice skating, skiing, bobsled, snowboard-viewing, sometimes with dinner on my lap, sometimes into the wee hours of the morning (it was worth it for Evan and Joannie alone!) but now I find myself in that weird interim time between winter and spring...

It's a frustrating time! The beauty of New England is that at the beginning of each season, even though you've lived through dozens of that season, it feels new and unexpected. You're like 'AH! SPRING! You are so warm! And the sun is staying out longer, and the little crocuses are blooming. O GLORIOUS SPRING!' Then you get all pissy that spring is dragging on for soooo long, and by the end of May, if it hasn't been hitting 70 consistently, one gets a little restless. Then by August, everyone is like "WTF I am so ready for fall." Eventually it's "Snow! Oh snow!! I forgot how cold and white and glorious you are! I love you snow!" Which then brings us full circle, back to.....now....the in between.

While I have plenty of inside things to do, I would love to work outside for a bit. Tend my tiny garden that my parents allowed me to start in high school to hold all my castoffs from my landscaping business. Maybe I would plant some cold-hardy annuals in there for some color, or maybe just clear the mucky leaves out of there. I would like to sit in my front yard in the early morning and look for warblers (because I am nerdy - a well-established fact). Actually I would like to open the frickin' windows and air out my room. It's not quite time yet though....not just yet. But soon.

IMG_7723

last April...well end of April. Ugh. Still 8 weeks away.

Maybe I should go to the Spring Bulb Show at Smith. Especially now that my car is fixed. Anyone? Anyone up for spring bulbs and flowery goodness??? Maybe that will tide me over til spring appears...

both photos found here.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I SAW BLOOMING CROCUSES TODAY!!! Not just crocuses. BLOOMING crocuses. I swear I almost crapped myself.

Of course to see them today, 18 entire days before the first day of spring is to feel a little happy and then a lot of worry. It's too sooooon, little fledgling flowers! Winter is still here! The snow will come back! I know, I know, global warming, blah, blah, but that actually makes your chances WORSE! Global warming means more extreme weather, not just warmer! Don't be so literal! Oh please just head back into the ground so I can stop worrying and sigh about the forever winter state of things.....

And scene. :)

Al said...

That was so special, EE, so special. And thank you for the bit about global warming and extreme weather!