Thursday, April 19, 2007

And because she sums it up better than I ever could

read this for the opinion I share with the author regarding the recent decision by the supreme court regarding abortion.

God, I'm such a ridiculous Smithie. When I lived in the bubble, I didn't get too up and arms about anything. I mean, I did, but now that I'm out in the real world, the feminist rage has really risen up inside of me and busts out like it never did before. I'm so lucky that I had the opportunity to be educated in a place where my rights, my thoughts, and my opinons mattered and were thought to be significant contributions, where people cared about each other and were respectful. Now I go to school and sit in a biology class where we're not allowed to say "Vagina Monologues." And that's in a Boston suburb. F8cked up, I tell you.....

addition: in my post over on excaliburssoul, I added a wee bit about HIPAA, just to clarify for people who may not be aware (honestly, if I didn't work at a hospital, I wouldn't be up to date with it), and talked a little bit about the reason why we didn't know much about the VTech shooter's mental health history. I just read an article today on abcnews.com regarding the Supreme Court's partial birth abortion ban, and it mentioned HIPAA as well, and I think this OB-GYN makes a wonderful point, which I just wanted to share:

"If HIPAA prevents me from speaking to family members about medical decisions without permission, how can the federal government insert itself into the decision-making process without invitation from either the physician or the patient?" asked Dr. Lisa Jones, practicing gynecologist and fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

"I feel strongly about the right of a woman to choose and the right of a physician to suggest the most appropriate treatment for a patient without the interference from a nonmedical body," Jones added.

Thank you for that, Dr. Jones.

No comments: