Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Picking Up Where I Left Off a Year Later

I began working on this list nearly a year ago. I found it out there in internet land and it's kind of fun. I think it'll help me come up with those 100 things in 1001 days list I was talking about yesterday...

Found this on someone's blog. The instructions are simple: just copy the list of 100 accomplishments, highlight the ones you've achieved in bold, and elaborate as desired.

It's big. But it's fun.

001. Started my own blog. Yep. I had three, two Africa-themed, and this one. The others have fallen by the wayside.

002. Slept under the stars. I dozed under them...out in the Mara...but not full-on sleep

003. Played in a band. HS marching band count?

004. Visited Hawaii.

005. Watched a meteor shower. Ok this is an "I think so" Every summer I lie out on our dock over the lake in NH and watch the stars fall. I guess it counts!

006. Given more than I can afford to charity. It's a vice. Not a bad one. But the whole "living beyond your means" bit comes up lol.

007. Been to DisneyWorld/Land. 1992. Oh the good times.

008. Climbed a mountain. (Kilimanjaro calls me sometimes.)

009. Held a praying mantis. Holbrook....never in Hanover.

010. Sung a solo. Kindergarten graduation "L for the lovelight in your eyes." Never again since.

011. Bungee jumped. You must be kidding. NO NO NO.

012. Visited Paris.

013. Watched lightning at sea. I can't quite remember, but surely on one of our mainland/Nantucket journeys. We were in a hurricane once....

014. Taught myself an art from scratch. A lot has been self taught with people weighing in.

015. Adopted a child. (Maybe someday)

016. Had food poisoning. Oh hells yes. J.F.K. School lunch: fish. Ugh. Kenya, the V-D (vomiting-diarrhea) One way to find out who your true friends are is to have terrible food poisoning around them - if one holds your hands while you go on the toilet and throw in the sink, and the other doesn't hate you forever for hogging the bathroom while she throws up in a trash barrel with HOLES in it, then there you have it, true friendship 4EVA.

017. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty. (No. Next time we go!)

018. Grown my own vegetables. Tomatoes only, but one day much more.

019. Seen the Mona Lisa in France.

020. Slept on an overnight train. I don't think a 3AM departure from Penn counts...

021. Had a pillow fight. Absolutely.

022. Hitchhiked (not sure I ever will.)

023. Taken a sick day when you're not ill. um. obviously. But not a lot! Maybe 3 times total!

024. Built a snow fort. Hells yes! Only reason to live in such a wintry clime!

025. Held a lamb. As it came out of its mom. It sounds gross, but it was freakin' amazing and I hope someday I'll get to do it again here: http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.201575/ (who will do this with me??)

026. Gone skinny dipping. Beginning of every semester at Smith, in the pond (ew!) and at home of course...that infamous night. heh.


027. Run a marathon. (a half. hope to change that soon)

028. Ridden in a gondola in Venice.

029. Seen a total eclipse. It was a lunar eclipse. Solar: only partial.

030. Watched a sunrise or a sunset. I love watching the sunrise. Love love it.
Seaplane over the Mountains

Small Ripples


031. Hit a home run. (can't remember!!)

032. Been on a cruise. Alaska. It was glorious.

033. Seen Niagara Falls in person.

034. Visited the birthplace of my ancestors. (not unless we're talking about the cradle of life, the Great Rift Valley!)

035. Seen an Amish community.

036. Taught myself a new language.

037. Had enough money to be satisfied. Here and there. I think when Jam and I marry we might truly experience "satisfaction" because neither one of us are "we must have the newest car, the biggest house" type people.

038. Mastered the cartwheel.

039. Skimmed the surface of water on waterskis. (odd considering the opportunities to do so!)

040. Seen Michelangelo's David.

041. Sung karaoke. Cathay Hanover, "It's Raining Men"

042. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt. More than once! It's great.

043. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant.

044. Visited Africa. Twice, and I hope for more returns. It holds my heart.

Kili in Clouds and a Zebra

045. Walked on a beach by moonlight. YES. And saw blue phosphorescent algae in the sand!

046. Been transported in an ambulance.

047. Had my portrait painted.

048. Gone deep sea fishing.

049. Been to the Sistine Chapel in person.

050. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

051. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling. Snorkeling in Ketchikan, Alaska. Amazing. Scuba scares me :P

052. Kissed in the rain.

053. Played in the mud. Kenya again.

054. Gone to a drive-in theater. (No but I found one in Mass and we must go!)

055. Been in a movie.

056. Visited the Great Wall of China.

057. Started a business. Landscaping, 97-02. Made good money. Gave it up to work for the Audubon Society.

058. Taken a martial arts class.

059. Visited Russia.

060. Served at a soup kitchen. Mainspring House, thanks to Jr. High Fellowship

061. Sold Girl Scout cookies. But of course.

062. Gone whale watching. Stellwagon Bank and Gulf of Maine.

063. Got flowers for no reason. Jamaal has sent them "just because."

064. Donated blood, platelets, or plasma. Blood, here and there, platelets every two weeks.

065. Gone sky diving.

066. Visited a Nazi concentration camp site.

067. Bounced a check. Oh yes. Actually, I overdrew my bank account 7 times in one day in January. Granted it was a processing thing at the bank....but still lol

068. Flown in a helicopter. MSP Helicopter N20SP. Crashed in the Charlers River two months later.

069. Saved a favorite childhood toy up until my late 20s. Um do you think I would ever give away teddy and purple doggie after they survived being left behind in Canada and made the 3,000 mile journey home in a shoe box. HELLS NO.

070. Visited the Lincoln Memorial. I would like to see it again though.

071. Eaten caviar. It's too salty, though I like to pretend I have refined taste and will eat it anyways.

072. Pieced a quilt. Yes indeed.

073. Stood in Times Square. It is daylight even at 2AM there!

074. Toured the Everglades.

075. Been fired from a job.

076. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London.

077. Broken a bone.

078. Been on a speeding motorcycle. Probably not "speeding" but it was fast enough for me!

079. Seen the Grand Canyon in person.

080. Published a book. I made two blurb books! I'm counting it!

081. Visited the Vatican.

082. Bought a brand new car. (my next forester will be new)

083. Walked in Jerusalem.

084. Had my picture in the newspaper. 1st grade, 3rd grade, college, for my job. I'm soo famous LOL.

085. Read the entire Bible.

086. Visited the White House. Got the super secret tour.

087. Killed and prepared an animal for eating. This is a weird 50% one. Participated in goat slaughter. I did not draw the knife across its throat, but did carve it up in the kitchen. It was gross. Goats taste like they smell.

088. Had chickenpox.

089. Saved someone's life.

090. Not known that 90 comes after 89, not 91. laaaame

091. Met someone famous. Minor celebs/sports figures. Good enough for me!

092. Joined a book club.

093. Lost a loved one.

094. Had a baby.

095. Seen the Alamo in person.

096. Swam in the Great Salt Lake.

097. Been involved in a law suit.

098. Owned a cell phone. A couple, actually.

099. Been stung by a bee. More than once. Ouch!

100. Ridden an elephant. I know I did at those seedy fairs and local zoos. Poor elephants!

I have a 52% completion rate on this one...which honestly is a bit of a relief given my 37% on the list from yesterday. Maybe I do better with long-term goals??

No comments: