Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Facebook, I L You

I just found out some news.
Good news, from Facebook too.
I've mentioned my friend, Mboya before. I sent his sister through secondary school from age 13 to 16. Once she finished, he dropped off the face of the earth. I didn't hear from him. He disappeared.

I had a sneaky, awful, growling-in-the-pit of my stomach suspicion he was dead. Because that's what happens in Kenya when someone just gets cut off like that, you know? They get in an accident or murdered or something awful but you never know because they're Kenyan, you're white and American and technically have no connection to that person and there's no way to sort it out unless you go over there in person....unless you have friends you can ask. My questions went unanswered by the one friend with whom I'm still in touch, and I told myself that this wasn't because he didn't want to tell me what was going on, but because he barely had an internet connection at the outpost at which he worked. Plus the American standard of email etiquette is kind of lost on those guys :) Today I am tooling around FB and there on my friend's page is a thank you for the birthday wishes we sent, saying "I had a great day with Fred and Mboya and..."

There it was. In type. Mboya. He's alive and well and partying. Sighs upon sighs of relief.
Excuse me for now, I have to go electronically kick his ass for not replying to my emails.

Mboya and Me

No comments: